Sunday, April 26, 2009

Hallelujah!

A miracle happened last night. After an unusually fussy day, Aaron slept through the night.

Lately he has been taking longer naps and enjoys watching his mobile, sitting in the swing, etc. But yesterday he couldn't be distracted and only took a couple of catnaps. By the end of the day I was very frustrated. Out of my long list of things I wanted to get done, I only accomplished one--taking Aaron to get his 3 month portrait taken. (John, on the other hand, was quite satisfied. He had pulled down the remains of our broken fence and cleared out all the branches and debris.)

Aaron fell asleep several times nursing that evening, but he always woke up within minutes after I put him down. He finally fell asleep for real around 10:30 pm on the couch. About an hour later John put him in his crib, and (miracle of miracles) he stayed asleep. When the cat woke me at 5:30 am, I realized that we had made it through the entire night! When I came back upstairs after putting the cat out, Aaron was stirring, so I took him back to bed with me and fed him. We then went back to sleep until Genevieve woke us up at 7:15.

So it goes in the baby book: first slept through the night at 12 weeks old. We'll see if it's just a fluke. Genevieve actually slept through the night at 9 weeks and did so for the next 6 weeks. Not again for the next 3 years...